At a Glance
- Founded in 1414, Durham School is one of Britain’s oldest and most distinguished boarding schools.
- Strong ethos that instils students with a “Confidence for Life”.
- Unique, inspiring and nurturing family atmosphere and sense of community.
- “Happiness of students” is paramount.
- Small class sizes and specialist teaching from an early age; a staff to student ratio of approximately 1:10 that ensures individual attention.
- First class academic results at GCSE and A Levels with virtually 100% of students going on to attend their University of choice, including prestigious names like Cambridge, Oxford, Durham and Imperial.
- Commended by The Good Schools Guide as the best school in England forAlevel English Language and Literature (2011 & 2012), Design Technology (2010 & 2011) and Sports Sciences (2010).
- Broad curriculum: currently 27 subjects are offered at A Level including Latin, Critical Thinking, Psychology, Greek and Further Mathematics, alongside traditional sciences, humanities, modern languages and creative subjects.
- Long tradition of sporting excellence with Commonwealth and Olympic medallists amongst its former
students and several current internationals including England Rugby, England Golf, England Skiing, Great
Britain Rowing, Great BritainWater Polo and County Cricket.
- All-Steinway accredited school ensures outstanding musical provision.William Todd, a past student, is a famed composer who was commissioned for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
- Former students remain closely associated with the school through the Old Dunelmian Society, currently with over 4,000 members.