Durham School’s history stretches back centuries, certainly to 1414 and the re-organisation of the school by Thomas Langley, Bishop of Durham and some would claim even further to the monastic settlement on Lindisfarne which came to Durham City 900 years ago. The School was originally situated on Palace Green, adjacent to the World Heritage Site of Durham Cathedral in the heart of Durham City, but moved to its present magnificent site on the other side of the River Wear in 1844. Set in its own beautiful and extensive grounds it enjoys a uniquely rural feel while still being only five minutes walk from the city centre. The School is now fully co-educational and incorporates its own preparatory school (age 3-11) at Bow, home of the fabulous Badger Nursery and Early Years Department. It offers a high quality “total” education to all its girls and boys who can be day pupils or, at the Senior School, boarders. The School has a particularly high reputation for academic studies, music, sport and drama.